Strengthening Exercises to help beat those ‘Shin Splints’
In this Blog we will discuss some strengthening/rehabilitation exercises most commonly prescribed for those painful shins.
The aim of this exercise regime is to help manage Shin Splints, this acts to:
- Improve Load Management
- Strengthening the load bearing muscles of the lower limb (Hip, Knee & Ankle)
For more details on what Shin Splints are and thecauses/symptoms often associated with them please click here
Every individual suffering from Shin Splints may have slightly different causes and symptoms associated with them. Therefore, it is important to book into see one of our Physiotherapists who can fully assess and provide you with an individual exercise programme.
Here are some simple exercises to help those ‘Shin Splints’ often seen in Runners.
- Step Ups: Step onto a box, leading with the injured leg, step down with the same leg, returning to start position.
You may increase the height of box, and add in light weights as your strength and technique improves. To maintain equal balance between hips and knees, you may repeat on uninjured side. Repeat 2-3 sets of 8-12 reps.
- Soleus Squat: Standing against a wall (you may place gym ball behind). Feet shoulder width apart, slide down wall to approx. 80deg. Raise heels off ground; hold approx. 20sec, repeat 3-5 times.
- Bent knee calf raises: Stand on injured leg on a small step with knee slightly bent. Raise heel slowly off step and control returning to start position.Repeat 2-3 sets of 8-12
- Single leg Soleus Bridge: Place ball of foot of injured leg onto edge of a step. Arms flat on floor; raise hip off bed keeping the opposite leg straight.Repeat 2-3 sets of 8-12 reps. Repeat on Both sides. (please note: no step in image – you must add step to isolate lower calf/soleus muscle)
- Hip Hitches: Stand on the edge of a step. Keep the leg on the step straight, gently lower opposite leg down the side of step and then hitch this lowered hip back to neutral/start position. Repeat 2-3 sets of 8-12 reps.
For more information or to book your appointment please call us on 091 456 086 or you may use or online booking system by clicking here ‘BOOK NOW’